Monday, May 2, 2016

Monthly Favorites ::: April 2016

April was a very busy month for me! First, work was quite demanding. It was fun as I got to learn a lot but 10-12 hr. work days can be very much tiring! Work aside; personally it was quite an eventful month. My little sister got engaged this month, and to celebrate the occasion there was a small ceremony back home. I was able to get some days off from work and manage a 10-day trip to India. The journey is at least 20 hr. for one-way trip and two such hectic air trips completely took the toll on of my health; I am still recovering from it!


The trip was super fun though! I got to meet a lot of family members that I have not met in years! It always amazes me to see how Indian people can find such immense joy and happiness over news of any marriage :-) I did my sister’s makeup and hair for the engagement ceremony. During the first 10 days of the month, I was testing out products from my stash to figure out what I consider the best to take with me to India. Naturally, I have used all these products A LOT this month and they are surely becoming my absolute favorite, if not “Holy Grail” products!


Smashbox Cosmetics Photo Finish Primer Water: As we age, I have started to have more troubles with our skin; it has become acne prone, and yet there are a lot of serious dry and patchy parts on my face! Same for my sister! This primer water has been quite the savior! It does not irritate the oily, acne prone areas while hydrating the drier part and provides a moisturized skin for makeup application. It’s super easy to apply, absorbs quickly and truly prolongs the wear of the makeup. Also, isn’t the travel size bottle so cute?

Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation: No wonder this foundation is a cult favorite. I am amazed at the staying power of this. The one pictured here is not exactly mine or my sister’s shade but I custom mix it with a lighter shade of Smashbox BB cream. The combo gives me the exact coverage I want without being too cakey. My sister is just a shade or two darker than me and the same combo with different proportion works great for her!  It got a tad bit oily after 6-7 hrs. (You have to keep in mind that it was a crowded family event in a hot, humid gloomy day :-)) And I had to powder, but other than that it was perfect. I definitely need to invest in a full-size bottle!


Makeup Geek (MUG) Eyeshadows: Hmm, where should I start? Similar shades as the colors shown in this palette can be found in many different brands; before the trip I even tried same look with similar shades from Makeup Geek and from Natasha Denona on each of my eyes! But in the end I decided to take MUG shadows with me as it was just so easy to pack and carry around whatever shades I want! I had their regular matte and shimmer shadows (Ice Queen, Crème Brule, Morocco, Cocoa Bear), a few duo-chromes (Mai Tai, Steam Punk, Typhoon) and 3 foiled shadows - Fortune Teller, Untamed, Flame Thrower! These three were the star of the show that day. I created a look with Typhoon and Steampunk to match my golden-green dress. For my sister, I did a halo eye look with the foiled eyeshadows…it flattered her beautiful red-gold Assam Silk attire so beautifully! She looked adorable :-) I am just a little bummed that we did not get enough time to take better pictures of the makeup!

Kevyn Aucoin The Pure Powder Glow in Myracle: I know, it is a scary shade, but works perfectly with bright Indian dress. I have to apply it very carefully but I like the brightening affect it instantly provide to the overall makeup look. It’s a pink shade but it really completed the bright red lipstick she was wearing! I also used the same shade on me! It’s flat matte shade, very easy to blend and has very good staying power. It’s a tad powdery but I don’t find that a problem!


Bare Minerals The First Resort Bronzer kit: Another old favorite; no matter how many different bronzers I try I always come back to this. Unfortunately this was a Limited Edition product and that is why I use it out only for special occasions! I absolutely love the sheen and glow it gives without being too shimmery!

Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector in Champagne Pop: Unfortunately I forgot to picture this. But there is nothing like Champagne Pop, especially on olive medium skin tones like me. And it also pops against all those traditional Assamese dresses with golden motifs. I feel like it binds the entire look together. I also love how it looks more blended and better with more wear time. I gave one to my sister and she is in love with it; much like I expected! 


Stila Cosmetics All Day Stay Liquid Lipsticks in Beso: My love for red lips runs deep! And I was extremely assured that when it comes to red lipsticks nothing can surpass my love and affinity for MAC Ruby Woo. But I was so wrong!  I got this lipstick in deluxe form as Gift with Purchase from Sephora a few months back. However, I did not like the formula for “Venezia” from the same line last year and that discouraged me to try this out. You may already know that April was Sexual Assault Awareness Month and I tried to join the #redmylips campaign. When I was checking my stash for red lipsticks this caught my attention! Since then I am wearing it every chance I get. I absolutely love the shade, it’s very brightening but it’s not an orangey tomato red! Ruby woo is slightly deeper and less warm than this. I got so many compliments on this lipstick during the event :-) The formula is thin and extremely opaque in just one swipe! It was easy to apply and fix any mistakes. And it stays for a long long time. On the day of the ceremony, it stayed on through multiple cups of tea, water and one very heavy Indian meal combined with an extreme amount if talking. Every time I wore it, I was truly satisfied with the wear time. Also, it does not dry out my lips that horrendously. New holy grail :-) The only issue with this is that it bleeds a little, but that’s why I love the next item!

Jordana Easyliner for lips in Sedona Lace: I have two of these lip liners and I have been using them for quite a while. They are automatic, has nice firm consistency, quite opaque and very friendly to use. And they are so inexpensive! It definitely helps in stopping any lipsticks that might bleed. I think they definitely need to come out with more shades.


Skindinavia The Makeup Setting Spray: With all the heavy makeup and humidity in India a good makeup setting spray is indispensable. There are a few that I like and I think this one is worth all the hype. It helped me and my sister survive a long hot humid eventful day :-) Only her eyeshadow smudged a bit but I know I used a little too many layers of foiled shadows. Everything else was on point, even after 1 full hr. of dancing at the end of the day.

I hope you all had an eventful month as well. I am trying my best to recover from vacation blues and get back to my regular life :-) So, definitely expect more posts here :-)

Love,
~Arrru

PS: Here are some picks from the event...we are wearing Assam Silk attires, which is very peculiar to our place :-) And the makeup on both me and my sister is of course by your's truly :-)




No comments: