Friday, January 13, 2017

Happy Bihu Everyone!!

Celebrating Bhogali Bihu the way I do - by sharing my thoughts on the blog here. My cousin sis Deepa sent me the pictures of the laru and pithas they made back home in advance, so that I can include these in my blog! Long back, I planned to post a few blogposts with a few topics that are at the heart of my culture. From those topics, I have covered Narikolor Laru celebrating last year's bihu, I have covered Durga Puja and a few more! I very much intend to do one post on Pithas but I will have to wait for some time for that!

Today I am here to share some pictures! If Magh Bihu is brand new word for you, check here to know more about it. This is one of the few main festivities we celebrated in home, Assam, India! It is conceptually similar to Lohri, Makar Sankranti etc! When we were very little our neighbourhood had the feast together but as time passes, as the world becomes more modern, there are less and less people that manages to come together to celebrate! And I am not surprized about that! My mom sent me this marginally hazy picture of the laru pithas she made! This is the first year that neither me or my sister is home for Bihu. I guess that is making mom a little bit sad but otherwise she is always super enthuasiastic about Magh Bihu! But, I do understand how this is the way life has become! I don't have the luxury of becoming sad reminiscing older days but I do ponder! Here are some pictures from home! 

Wish you had an wonderful Uruka feast among family and friends! If you are in far away place and missing your family, fear not - here is my Narikolor Laru recipe! It takes me a few hours to make this, so its a good way for me to fight the homesickness!

Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Mom
Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Deepa
Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Deepa
Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Deepa
Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Deepa
Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Deepa
Laru-Pitha made and clicked by Ani
:-)
Love,
~Arrru

No comments: