Monday, May 5, 2014

:::Tandoori style oven-broiled Chicken Drumsticks:::

So, it was a Sunday and as always I did not have much excitement going on for me! And because I already had some chicken drumsticks in my refrigerator, I decided to prepare some tandoori drumsticks or should I just name it oven-broiled chicken drumsticks. :)


First and foremost, this, again is a borrowed recipe. I always thought tandoori anything is a very terrifying recipe. I did not believe that I have the courage and patience to actually prepare such a long recipe. But, thanks to one of my friends, I finally realized this is actually pretty simple if I can manage the patience. A hat tip to her :). Lets go to the recipe straightforward. 

Ingredients: Chicken drumsticks, curd (aka plain yogurt), salt, garlic, ginger, paste, green chillies (optional, but I love the fresh smell of it), red chili powder, lemon juice, tandoori masala.


Important Note: From my few experiments, I can assure that the key to the success to this recipe is marination. I have succumbed to the temptation and prepared this dish when I did not have sufficient time. I have to accept that it did not turn out good.
  1. Remove the skin from the drumsticks, make few deep slits. There are two rounds of marination involved. I used the following proportions for 8 pieces of drumsticks.
  2. For First Round, mix juice from one small lemon, salt to your taste, 2 tablespoons of both ginger and garlic paste, red chili powder. Put the chicken pieces and marinate well so that the salty flavour can penetrate deep into the slits. Keep it for 30-45 minutes. 
  3. For Second Round, mix few tablespoons (I put 4) of curd with almost half amount of tandoori masala. Put the chicken pieces from the first marinade to this paste. 
  4. Keep this marination for as long as you want. I kept it around 10 hrs. But, at least 3-4 hrs is needed. 
  5. Broil it at 450° F in a conventional oven. Keep checking and turning the sides of the chicken pieces from time to time. When you put your fork into the pieces, you can gauge if it's properly cooked or not. Once you get a feel that it is cooked, and outer crust is a bit crisp, it should be done. It generally needs around an hour.
  6. Serve it as a snack or as a side dish to your meal. If you want a quick and easy recipe  of coriander chutney to go with the tandoori drumsticks, please click here :)

I enjoyed my crisp and well done drumsticks. I hope you will too :) 

Love,
~Aru

No comments: