Sunday, April 30, 2017

TARTE COSMETICS Shape Tape Contouring Concealer in TAN SAND

I almost feel shy posting this review. Everybody has already about this Shape Tape Contour Concealer from Tarte Cosmetics any many months ago! It was (and may still is) so hyped! Plus, beauty community has already moved on to the NARS Soft Matte Complete Concealer. But I have my own reasons for not being able to keep up with these new releases! Companies are releasing new products every single day! I am a full-time Engineering Professional and I can manage to blog only when I have some spare time. Secondly, it takes me a lot of conviction to venture out and buy new concealer :-)



Anyway, better late than never! I finally picked this up during last December when I had a 20% off coupon from Ulta. Here’s what I think –

Price & Packaging: This will cost you $25 for  0.34 oz. of product. It is very comparable to lot of concealers from similar high-end brands. You need just a little bit so this will last you a long time. 
The size of this tube initially scared me! It is huge! Almost double than the Naked Skin Concealer by Urban Decay. Obviously, the wand is also quite huge. I need to scrape off some of the product on the inside edge of the tube to get the least amount on the wand. It is a Vegan, Cruelty Free product as well. You can buy this from Tarte Cosmetics & Ulta. It is a little bit difficult to get a hold of.



Weartime & Quality: Personally, I don’t like to use base products that are thick in consistency. But I also quite enjoy wearing crazy bright eyeshadows, I totally understand the value of good under eye concealer. This has quite a thick but also liquid-y consistency. It is very easy to blend but if my under-eye areas are very dry it has the tendency to cling on to dry patches. Because of the thick and tacky consistency, it needs a powder to set it in. I use the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light.
Lately I have been using it on the center of my nose; it gives me a tiny bit of definition without having to contour (I don’t really know how to contour but that’s a whole other story). It is named as “Shape Tape Contouring Concealer” so it is meant for contouring as well. But I have not tried contouring with it full scale.

Back to the weartime, if I have managed to keep my under-eye area hydrated before after applying this & I set it nicely, this stays on till I remove at night. I have a few fine lines under my eye and the area around those starts to break up till the later part of the day. But it is something that always happens with me. I have not yet used on my blemishes though! 

There are 2 main points I want to share about this concealer –
  • I absolutely LOVE to use this when I am reviewing new products and taking picture for the blog. I love colourful makeup, so with full face of makeup this concealer looks absolutely perfect. I don’t think my under-eye discoloration is too bad but this completely covers what I have. I must use this with beauty blender; the blender helps in toning down the thickness otherwise it can get too thick and cakey for my dry skin.
  • But I also really DON’T LIKE the product because there is no way I can use it without wearing foundation. I don’t wear foundation for my day-to-day makeup to work. I just don’t. But I do wear concealer! I love wearing Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer because I can use it without having to apply foundation, it does not look weird at all. This however is so full coverage that it looks quite odd and too obvious on a just moisturized, bare face. So I am sad that I will not be able to wear it on my every day routine!


Shade: Tarte always does a good job with their shade selection. They now have 14 shades with 4 of them being relatively newer shades. I have “Tan Sand” which is one of the new shades. The sales associate in Ulta told me to get Tan but I wanted to get one of the new shades. In retrospect “Tan” would have been a better match for my skintone. This shade has just a bit more yellow in it. Here is a comparison of Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer and Tarte Shape Tape side by side.


This is the first ever concealer review in this blog and it is the third ever concealer that I have tried. I love color cosmetics – eyeshadows, blushes, lipsticks, highlighters; they excite me, inspire to create different looks. I don’t have perfect skin; in reality I have hug pores, acne marks and what not! But as a person I don’t find comfort in trying to hide every little imperfections (if you even call them that) on my face. Bottom line- I don’t fuss much about having a perfect base. I know it’s not the perfect philosophy but it’s my philosophy. Hence the lack of interest in trying out foundations and concealers.

I only bought this because I was running out of my Urban Decay one. I eventually repurchased Urban Decay but I am glad I picked this up. It needs a bit of careful application; you have to keep in mind that less is more otherwise it can get cakey, you also have to set it. but I have been really enjoying this during my full-face glam make up days.

It is definitely worth the hype.
Love,

~Arrru

No comments: