Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Urban Decay Matte Revolution Lipstick in “After Dark” ::: Review & Switches

I have been bitten by some kind of lipstick bug! I did not buy a single piece of lipstick for the first half of the year (free gifts with purchase do not count :-)) and come August, I have been hoarding lipsticks like there’s no tomorrow. Purple, Red, Pink, Nudes – I cannot seem to stop buying lipsticks! After more than a year of dedicated beauty blogging, I have realized that the line between being a beauty blogger and a makeup hoarder is dangerously blurry :-) But I guess, personally lipstick is one of the better products to hoard for me considering it is a product that I almost never leave my home without wearing!


Now that my rant is over, let’s talk about this gorgeous shade from Urban Decay (UD). UD Naked Original was my very first high end purchase, which I still cherish very much. A while back they launched their new Matte Revolution lipstick line which is supposed to be non-drying creamy formula with matte finish. You know I love my bold bright colors and this shade just spoke to me! I checked a few online swatches and bought it immediately without even swatching or trying it in store :-). But I am so grateful that this shade is very flattering on me otherwise I have been having a bit of bad luck with my online lipstick purchases recently. 


UD always does a good job with their packaging (well, I am ignoring the packaging of Vice palettes :-) ha ha). It comes in black sleek lipstick tube with magnetic closure and at the bottom the color shade is written in color coordinated sticker. The packaging of the tube is per UD standard; strongly built and is definitely edgy in appearance. I am, however, not a very big fan of the shape and style of the actual lipstick bullet. It works perfectly on my upper lips but it is very annoying to get a good sharp outer line on my lower lips! That might not be a problem for you though.


After Dark” is a very deep berry-ish fuchsia color with a strong blue undertone to it and just a hint of metallic finish to it. It may not sound the most appealing but I absolutely love the shade. This is not your overly “in-your-face” fuchsia, I feel like I can wear it on a Friday to a traditional workplace setup like mine. . Now these are marketed as matte but in my experience they are not but in a good way. I truly adore the tiny hint of metallic sheen to the finish, especially on my lower lips! Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in “Quince” is my staple fuchsia but “After Dark” is definitely my new obsession.


The formula is beautiful. It’s pigmented, creamy and comfortable. I typically don’t face bleeding problems with lipsticks but I don’t think this will create that problem. It is very easy to get an even opaque layer in just one swipe. It does not dry out my lips for good 4-5 hrs. of wear but I do feel better if I use a lip balm over it at that point. This is a very common problem for me with matte lipsticks. It has around 7-8 hrs. of wear time on me. I would definitely be happy to purchase more but the other shades in this line have not interested me yet.


It retails at $22 for 0.09 oz./0.2.8 g of product. So the price is very typical/at par/normal for high end lipsticks. If I compare this lipstick with the new Buxom Big & Bold Sexy lipsticks that are exactly the same price (I have reviewed 6 of these a while back, click here for the review), I will prefer this! You can find UD in SephoraUlta and as well as on UD websiteI have been alternatively wearing “After Dark” and Bite Beauty Barberry (reviewed here) every chance I get this Fall. I am sure this trend will continue for Winter as well.

What’s your most worn shade for Fall?

Love,
~Arrru

No comments: